Tuesday, December 1, 2009

We're cookin' with gas

My carpool driver hasn't shown up yet this week. Ugh! Last night she texted me and said she would be here today. I didn't see her at school at all so I don't think she just left me. This one came through a city-wide Ride Share program so she did volunteer and I'm more than generous with gas money. It's so frustrating! Yesterday Julianne got up right before I would have left and had a fever so I just stayed with her. Today I went ahead and drove. I was late! I hate that. Maybe I should just start planning to take the bus. I'll check the schedule tomorrow. I have no idea how early I will have to leave! I don't have working window defrosters and we are expecting snow tomorrow. I can't drive in the winter without them. Last Tuesday I lost my new stainless steel go-cup and it was in the floor next to the coat rack when I got there today. Sounds like a little thing, but I was thrilled to find it!

We are cooking now! I love it. Today we made mayonnaise. Everyone's seemed to turn out pretty well to me. It was most folks' first time making it. I tried to drizzle a teeny bit of water in mine to thin it and splashed too much so it was thinner than it should have been. It was tasty, though. After we made mayo individually we made chicken salad, clarified butter, and a butter compound in groups and then we ate our chicken salad. It was a yummy breakfast.

Maynnaise

2 egg yolks
1/2 tespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
12 ounces oil (we use vegetable oil at school but I use grapeseed for almost everything at home)
water, as needed

In a non-reactive mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, salt, pepper, mustard, vinegar, and lemon juice.

Rapidly whisk until the mixture is lemony-colored, frothy, and will nappe (coat the back of the spoon).

Gradually add the oil while you are mixing to form an emulsion (add a teeny splash and whisk, repeat).

Once the emulsion is formed, incorporate the oil a little more quickly to avoid over-whisking and causing a metallic reaction in the sauce.

If it gets too thick add just a very tiny bit of water and whisk.


No comments:

Post a Comment