Wednesday, February 24, 2010

MMMMMMMMMMMM

I just took beer bread out of the oven.  Man, the house smells GOOD!  I don't really drink beer but now I'm obsessed with it.  Since I can taste it in the bread I'm thinking about experimenting with different beer & grain combinations.  I would like to try an oatmeal beer or a coffee-flavored one and rye or oats.  I will also play with other natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup.  Tonight it was whole wheat bread with Guinness Extra Stout.  Next time I might substitute just a little whole wheat flour for some all-purpose.  I'm all about the whole grains but it's kind of heavy.

3 cups whole wheat flour (or two cups of whole wheat and one of all-purpose)
2 tablespoons raw sugar (all I use but you could use regular sugar)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
12 ounces beer

Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease your loaf pan and set aside. Sift all of your dry ingredients together and put in a mixing bowl.  Add beer and combine.  As it forms a dough, knead it with your hands. Place the dough in your loaf pan and press it in evenly (don't follow my example in the pictures!). Bake for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment