Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I have been wanting bruschetta all the time for the past couple of weeks but today it was all I could think about!  I looked forward all day to coming home and making Tuscan bread for it but found that I was too hungry to take the time to make yeast bread, so I toasted slices of  a whole grain baguette that I already had and added an heirloom tomato, fresh basil, a heavy drizzle of olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt (plus a sliced avocado on the side).  Heaven!  The picture is blurry because the camera battery is dying.  I'm too hungry to care.


We have had a lot of storms this year and several just this week.  I LOVE storms so I never complain.  I have a branch down in my yard that is big enough to make a whole new tree.  I need to drag it to the curb but it is touching a wire so I can't see that happening.  The For Sale sign from the house on one side of me is now on the ground in front of the house on the other side.  Ooh, good idea for a fun prank...

This is week six of my externship.  Four more weeks left after this one!  I'm so excited!  The last day of school (or externship) for my class is July 31 and our graduation is August 27.  I'm enjoying the work that I've been doing.  They mostly have me do prep stuff, so I cut things up, make a lot of stocks, sauces, & dressings, cut things up, roast chickens, make croutons, and then I cut things up.  We had a big brunch buffet for Fathers Day and I did my first carving station--four hours of "prime rib or leg of lamb?".  I liked it, though.  I met a dude from Sardinia who swears that it is more beautiful than Tuscany.  I can't imagine that but I am willing to visit in order to form an informed, intelligent opinion.  He recommended a book, Tea With Mussolini, that I plan to read very soon.

Besides the externship, I have been on call with a caterer and have helped them out a couple of times.  The last time was for a wedding and the venue wouldn't allow us to use any hot water!  Whatever.  I guess I shouldn't whine.  I didn't have to haul those dishes back and wash them!  I would've if they'd asked.  I enjoy catering a lot.  The folks I've worked with have been great and, of course, the leftovers are awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment